Letter for Non Payment of Child Support

By | December 25, 2016

Federal child support laws state that if a non-custodial parent fails to pay child support on time, he or she is liable for legal action. However, most custodial parents may not want to go through the hassle of contacting the non-custodial parent through the law. You can write a letter on your own and make it somewhat official.

Alternately, you could get your lawyer to send in a letter of nonpayment to the non-custodial parent, outlining his failure to pay child support on time, and encouraging him to pay all past dues. Child support cannot be taken lightly – both parents should be able to look out for their child or children’s wellbeing.

Writing a letter for nonpayment of child support is certainly no rocket science. Your lawyer can guide you how to go about this, but you can also draft one yourself. If you are on amicable terms with your ex-spouse, you can write to him or her directly and ask why payments have not come through. You can also suggest easier payment methods if he or she is in a financial fix.

Here is how you can ask for child support payments (in instances of nonpayment) through your lawyer:


Sample Letter for Non Payment of Child Support


Luke Evans
Lawyers Inc.
733 67th Street
New York, NY 12588

December 25, 2016

Mr. Raymond Fox
77 6th Street
New York, NY 19938


Dear Mr. Fox:

I am writing this letter on behalf of my client Ms. Samantha Perry who at this point in time is extremely upset at the fact that she has not received child support payments from you for the last 3 months. Please refer to the enclosed copy of the child support agreement that was signed by you on January 5, 2016, which clearly states that you are liable for legal action if you miss any payments.

Since Ms. Perry does not want to handle this situation by involving the State, she has asked me to intervene so that we can settle the matter at this point. As per our records, you owe Ms. Perry $7200 in child support for your daughter Ms. Eva Fox – this is the sum of 3 payments of $2400 each as decided by the court. Ms. Perry has suggested that you may pay these in three equal installments, along with the current payments.

We would appreciate it if you would make the payments immediately so that my client can continue to provide your daughter with the life that she deserves. You may contact me at (333) 333-3333 if you require.




Luke Evans