Sample Complaint Letter to Landlord about Leakage

By | May 24, 2016

It is a blessing to have your own house. Even if you have to make repairs, well, it is your own house! But when you are a tenant somewhere, it often becomes a headache to handle repairs. The good news is that you do not have to make repairs yourself unless it is specifically charted out in your rental deed that you must. Most of the time, the responsibility of repairs and maintenance is on the shoulders of the landlord.

If you find yourself in a situation where you have noticed (or been bothered by) problems in the rented property that you are residing in, it is best to write a letter to the landlord to provide him with information on what is happening, and to request repairs. In a letter of this type, it is imperative to be polite since you are technically asking for a favor. Provide details of what repairs or maintenance is required on the property and how it came about to be damaged. If it is your fault, offer to have it repaired or pay for it. But if it is a regular repair or maintenance issues, ask politely to have it managed as soon as possible.

Here is a sample complaint letter to a landlord by a tenant:


Sample Complaint Letter to Landlord about Leakage


May 21, 2016

Mr. Denver Walters
400 2nd Street
Mamou, LA 63210


Dear Mr. Walters:

This is with reference to the property 202 5th Street, Mamou, which I have rented from you and have been living in for the past 3 years. Please note that there is a problem with the upstairs bathroom, as it is leaking water from one of the pipes, which is seeping into my living room downstairs.

I have investigated the cause and after much effort, I have determined that one of the pipes fitted into the wall (the one on the left when you enter the upstairs bathroom) is leaking, making the water seep down into the living room wall. As you know, this can be a dangerous situation for the house, as it is made entirely out of concrete. Very soon, I anticipate that the paint will chip off and the wall will become weak.

Please arrange to have this leak repaired immediately so that no damage is done to your house. If you would like, I can arrange to have a professional come and have a look at it. Alternately, please let me know if you would like your own handyman to look at it.

Thank you.




Andy Robertson
Tel: (777) 777-7777