Notice from Landlord to Vacate a Rental Property

By | October 27, 2014

Whether you want a tenant to vacate your property in good faith or not, you have to be polite when giving him a sufficient notice period.

You want the process to be smooth and prompt, and you do not want to give him time to make excuses.


When you write a notice to ask a tenant to vacate your property, you will need to consider a few facts.

What is your reason to ask him to leave?

Has there been an unpleasant incident that has led to this decision?

Or has the lease period ended?

Has the tenant violated any rules and had refused to make amends?


If you have a reason charted out in front of you, you will be able to write a letter of this sort with much ease.

A legal representative can write a notice to vacate the rental property, but if you have to write it yourself, you should use a formal tone.

If the situation demands that you be a little firm, by all means, do but do not sound condescending.

Just stating the facts and requesting that your property is vacated is sufficient.

See also: Lease Termination Letter from Landlord

Here is how you can write one.


Notice to Vacate Rental Property from Landlord


June 8, 2019

Mr. Eric Bones
837 Hampton Avenue
Mission, KS 82928


Dear Mr. Bones:

Please consider this letter as a formal notice to vacate837 Hampton Avenue, Mission, KS which has been rented to you by me. Please refer to the copy of the lease agreement between us dated October 10, 2017. The lease period will end on August 30, 2019, and this letter is written to provide you with a two-month notice to vacate the said property.

As per our agreement, you have agreed to handle all repairs that the property will need before you vacate it. Upon my inspection of the house, I noticed it in some disrepair, a list of which I am supplying here for your reference:

  • Upstairs hallway walls have been drawn over with crayons and need a coat of paint.
  • 8 light bulbs are fused and need to be replaced (I will walk you through each one when I come to see you at the weekend).
  • 2 light fixtures in the kitchen are broken and need to be replaced.
  • Solar lights in the lawn are broken and need to be fixed/replaced.
  • Living room bay window is broken and needs to be replaced.

Your security deposit is with me and will be paid back with the interest once all these repairs/replacements will be done. Please let me know if you need my help in securing a contractor to perform these. I would appreciate it if you would clear all your dues (rent and utility bills) before you vacate the premises.



Penelope Higgins
8839 Yale Place
Mission, KS 78962
(000) 854-8756